Friday, 27 August 2010

First woman around South Africa solo

On 3 October 2009, I launched the second phase of my project, to circumnavigate South Africa, solo, thereby being the first person to do so! This trip was in order to raise enough awareness and funds for me to live her dream of becoming the first woman to cycle around the entire African continent.

    I kicked off my circumnavigation of South Africa from Melville, Johannesburg and cycled along the border to Richards Bay, along the KZN coast before entering the Eastern Cape and eventually reaching Cape Town on 14 November 2009.

    I left Cape Town, after a few days rest and maintenance, on 17 November 2009 to begin the return leg of my journey. The trip back to Johannesburg saw me travelling through the Western Cape, Northern Cape, North West and Limpopo.

    I arrived back in Johannesburg on Sunday 10 January 2010 having covered

    5 951 kilometers and 100 days on the road. I had become the first woman ever to have cycled around South Africa on my own! Laughing

    This journey marked the longest time I had spent on the road on my own. And what an incredible journey it was.

    It is now 7 months later and I really do miss the feeling of just hitting the open road early in the morning, not knowing what may lie ahead.

    But I better enjoy this time off the road, seeing as I will spend a much longer time away from home when tackling the third largest continent in the world!!

    No comments: