Sunday, 29 May 2011

Cape Town to Windhoek

The first leg - DONE! And I made it in exactly one month's time! I divided the stretch from Keetmanshoop to Windhoek into two sections. Keetmans to Mariental (230 Km), and Mariental to Windhoek (270 Km). Three days for each leg. What I wasn't counting on was a constant, beating wind! Over the 6 days it took me to get to Windhoek, the wind did a full 360 degree circumnavigation of ... Jolandie! LoL

One of the most important elements for me to consider on these long stretches is water! I carry 8 liters of water with me. Though by the time I get to the end of day 2, I have to find a source to replenish my supply! Lucky for me, every time I need it, 'the source' appears! :-) Out of the 6 days that I spent cycling between Keetmans and Windhoek, I spent 4 nights sleeping next to the road. What I have come to discover is that what I miss most on these nights is a warm bath or shower! These have become an absolute luxury!!

Day 1 (22 May 2011) I spent fighting a very insistent head wind! Though I had a goal in mind and very adamant on reaching that goal! Hanret had described the road ahead to me, according to Google Earth, the previous night. She figured I could cover 100km in one day. And I so wanted to reach that 100km mark as I had failed to do so up to Keetmanshoop. Despite the headwind, I kept my head down and my legs ticking over! By around 7pm that night I had covered 100km!! YES!

That night I had a visitor. Woke up around 11pm with the figure of a man towering over me! "What do you want"?, I asked him. "Oh, sorry. I just saw someone lying here and thought I'd check to see if you're okay". And then he left. I got such fright!

Over the next two days the wind turned. It went from blowing South to blowing South-East, to East. When I finally made it to Mariental, I just wanted to have a long, hot bath more than anything else in the world. My contact in Windhoek, Raymond Spall, had told me to stop at the Wimpy and ask for Patricia Nel. Which I duly did. Patricia then gave me a meal on the house and had organised for me to stay at a local Bed & Breakfast, Villa Volla! How awesome!?

The next morning I ordered myself breakfast at the Wimpy. A lot of people came over to chat to me. I left Mariental on a full stomach and in a very mellow frame of mind. I was absolutely FLYING! AND, for ONCE, I had a TAIL WIND!! Woohoo!! That day I did 102km! Yeehaa! I felt great!

Day 5 (26 May 2011) from Keetmans to Windhoek, I made it to Rehoboth just before sunset. Made a quick stop for water and food and then carried on. I was intent on making it to about 80km from Windhoek...As I left Rehoboth a 'bakkie' pulled over in front of me. It was one of the guests that had stayed in the same hotel (Masonic) as I in Springbok! And here he ran into me again, just before Windhoek! What a 'coincidence'!

The last stretch to Windhoek had me fighting a headwind again. I didn't mind too much though, because I knew once I made it to town, I could have a good rest! I had a very drunk guy try and pick me up next to the road. He said to me that I should accompany him back to Rehoboth as he owns a hotel there and would 'look after me'. Nice try buddy! LoL!

15km from Windhoek you hit a spectacular downhill through the mountains! Heaven, simply heaven! I made it to Windhoek around 4pm and was welcomed by Raymond with a huge hug. And then, I fell right in the center of town to announce my arrival! Haha!

I am NOT used to traffic anymore! LoL. And man, is this a busy town! To me it feels like a huge city!

My first night in Windhoek Raymond took me out to the world reknowned 'Joe’s Beerhouse'! What an awesome place! I had Ostrich and Gemsbok fillet. Yum!

And now I get into organising my Angolan visa!

I would really just like to say a big THANK YOU for all your messages, comments and support! It is what drives me through the tough times! I'm looking forward to sharing the next leg of the journey with you!!


How civilized is this???? OJ and bubbly for brunch!!


And the chef slaving away!!


If you can, listen online to an interview with Radiowave, Namibia just after 12:00 CAT (Central African Time) on Monday, 30 May 2011!!


Facebook Group

2 comments:

Walter Pike said...

Well done Jolandie, you are doing so well, remember when a whole bunch of us well meaning friends decided to plan your trip and all the logistics, and how you fired us all by just getting on your bike a riding to Cape Town.

It's so good to see you living your dream without the need of our " help"

Keep pedaling.

Anonymous said...

Above all HEALTH and SAFETY for Joalndie as she meets every single challenge she faces as she undertakes her humanitarian historic journey in the world.
— ABC4All TEAM from Manhattan Beach, CA, United States

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=13450090