Sunday, 31 July 2011

Good Samaritans, friendly goats and reaching Angola

26 July 2011

I have been cycling for 11 days solid now. No rest days. I just simply can't afford to take a rest day. The time limit on my Angolan visa puts me under enormous pressure. So I simply have to push on.

We (Hanret and I) have worked out that I have to maintain a minimum daily average of 70km, and I can only afford 3 rest days! That's only 3 rest days from Windhoek all the way to the DRC!!!

On my way from Windhoek to the Angolan border, I have experienced immense kindness! FNB Namibia has helped, not only financially (by sponsoring the Namibia leg of my trip), but the staff at branches on my way North have welcomed me with open arms! Helping me with organising sponsored accommodation, taking me out to dinner, making me feel welcome!

I have also experienced kindness from strangers on the road. Like Terry, who I met on my way to Otjiwarongo. Terry drove 70km that evening to fetch me so that I wouldn't have to sleep next to the road! And then there's the family who gave me N$100 at a picnic spot on my way to Oshivelo! Strangers who have given me shelter and even offered their own beds for me to sleep in!

I have given motivational talks at a number of schools in Namibia, as well as to FNB staff at some of the branches on my route going North! The responses have been amazing and I feel so priviledged for the opportunities given to me to share my story!

From Oshivelo onward it became a very different ball game! I had been told that 80% of Namibia's population resides in the North. Meaning: that I would now start to see more and more people! At Oshivelo I went through a control post. Here I got shouted at for attempting to take a photo! Then I had a group of kids surround me and chant: "Miss, miss, give me one dollar".

After that things got better though. I did see more and more people! Mostly friendly. People would wave and greet me with big smiles as I pass them by. Some would just stare with confusion written all over their faces.
Even the goats would run up to the road and bleat at me in greeting!! (I kid you not!!) Halfway between Oshivelo and Ondangwa I spent the night sleeping next to the road. No problems whatsoever!

And now I find myself sitting just a few hundred meters from the Angolan border! Oshikango is a chaotic town! I picked up a tail about 10km from town (local boys riding in my slip stream). In return for my hard work, one of them had to guide me around. I cannot adequitely describe what it is like riding into this town on a bicycle! People shouting at you from all directions in Portuguese, English, Afrikaans, and other local dialects. It feels like there are millions of people here! Even had my first Portuguese conversation! Yay!
Staying at Piscas tonight, for free! Had pizza as my last meal in Namibia!

Tomorrow morning I cross the border and say: BOM DIA ANGOLA! :-)


Last night in Namibia!!!

A Paypal button is now available for donations or sponsoring a country – check out the SPONSOR A COUNTRY page!! So, if you, your friends or your company want to sponsor her for one of the countries on her journey, check it out. Otherwise, mail Jolandie or Hanret!! Next up is Angola – who will we be promoting for a whole month?

Written by Jolandie, posted by La Domestique

Facebook Group

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Well done Yolandie! Super impressed met jou! Sterkte met Angola ek hoop dit is fanasties!