Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Nova and I hit the open road

So now that I have the bike, the gear and all the necessary licenses, I thought it time to test out both Nova and my abilities. The destination: Visiting my dad and my brother in Kwazulu Natal. 600 Kilometers of open road.

Bearing in mind that just a few weeks ago I got on a bike bigger than 250cc for the very first time in my life, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t at least a tiny bit nervous. I mean, I just got my license and now I’m about to ride just over 600 kilometers on my own. Well, the nerves disappeared as soon as I hit the highway. It was all plain sailing after that.

My ever-present companion (the wind) welcomed me back to the road once again. The nice thing this time round is that I just have to turn the throttle and Nova and I both smile and say to the wind: “Bring it on”.

The other thing I love about being on the open road on a motorbike, is the amazing camaraderie among the bikers. Every time a bike passes me by, they will acknowledge me by putting up a hand or a nod of the head. Almost like saying: “Hey fellow biker, I see you. Welcome to the road and have a safe ride”. Absolutely love it!

My brother, Adriaan, met me along the way on his bike and rode the last 120 kilometers or so with me. This was our first ride together, each on our own bike. A very special occasion for the both of us. Riding in unison. Our family unit.

I will be riding down to Cape Town in November to attend the annual FIM Congress. (Federation Internationale Motocyclisme). That’s a bit of a longer ride. And now that I have a better idea of what distances I can handle, I’m really looking forward to it!

Until then, I’m spending some quality time with my family before I disappear into Africa once again.

The Bike Family




Donations or country sponsorships can be done through PayPal – visit the SPONSOR A COUNTRY page for more details!! Otherwise, send Jolandie or La Domestique a mail.

Please drop by and visit my facebook group or my facebook page. Click on a country to see many more photographs of my incredible journey around Africa!

Lovingly maintained and updated by La Domestique.



1 comment:

los angeles traffic ticket lawyer said...

i wanna drive in an open area too like this.. just drive all the way long..